WE’D LIKE TO INTRODUCE butyric acid by saying that it’s the shortest fat chain of all. The chain is composed of 4 carbon atoms, which establish their molecule length as a short chain Fatty Acid. In human nutrition, so far we know only of three of their kind: butyric acid, propionic acid and acetic acid. This characteristic makes them special, and butyric acid is in fact the “favourite food” of our intestinal flora.And this is the key to understanding the functions of Butyric acid: the Intestinal Flora and the maintenance of the internal intestinal tissue. Its properties are beginning to be studied for those who suffer from conditions such as:
- Ulcerative colitis.
- Crohn’s disease.
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Functional constipation.
All these conditions could rely on this substance as a potential help for our bacteria, in producing an environment conducive to the health of our intestines. As many of our readers might have heard, diseases that affect the last part of the intestine have multiplied in recent years. We do not yet know the reason for this, although there are theories that seem to point towards contemporary issues, such as the ever increasing presence of heavy metals in fish that is commonly consumed. However, we must make it clear that we do not yet have a concrete answer to this. What seems certain is that, to a greater or lesser extent, Butyric acid has had a positive effect on all these problems.
Butyric acid makes positive bacteria proliferate and creates an environment that makes negative bacteria disappear. Wthese additional positive effects:
- It nourishes the colonocyte, the endothelial cell that is present especially in the colon of our intestine. It helps to the correct absorption of sodium and water.
- It also produces an anti-inflammatory effect in this area, which can be useful for fighting different diseases, as mentioned above. It improves motility.
- As we explained before, it improves the quality of the intesa, which in turn produces better digestions and absorption of nutrients, in addition to the formation of some vitamins.
- It seems to improve the overall metabolism of the body, together with its immune effect.